Andrea/Duck Dodgers here. I friendly welcome every fan of animation at my blog. The goal is to support the love and rediscovery of Classic Theatrical Cartoons from the Golden Age of Animation, keeping meanwhile an eye on Golden Age "Funny Animals" Comics as well as on modern animated productions! Every SUPPRESSED ethnic caricature to be sometimes presented here is just for HISTORICAL and EDUCATIONAL purpose and NOT to offend anyone. Stay Tooned and Enjoy the place !

Friday, August 31, 2007

Fixing CBL: "Voodoo Hoodoo"

This series of posts will try to fix the "errors" intentionally made with the Carl Barks Library.

Thank to a dear friend, the extraordinary Klaus Harms, I'm able to post scans of the original version of "Voodoo Hoodoo".
The only way to read the story as Barks made it is to actually own the original comicbook, considering that, after its original release, this Donald Duck adventure was reprinted in a less unPC way.
Even the Carl Barks Library features the new version: the most evident changes are the natives' face and the fact that the ring in Bombie's nose is removed. Even the dialogue is different. You'll be the judges!
And yes, Bop-Bop was originally intended to be a black man!
Enjoy the original version. I'm posting the first 16 pages and the rest will be available tomorrow.
Let me know your thoughts!




















See ya tomorrow for the remaining 16 pages!

Stay tooned,
Duck Dodgers

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank You once again, Duck Dodgers! I was just think of asking you to put up the uncensored version of this classic Barks tale.

1:43 pm

 
Blogger Duck Dodgers said...

I don't want to change this into a "classic comics" blog, so the 90% of the posts here will still be about classic animated shorts, but considering that I own rare stuff even in the comic aerea I thought to start sharing it.

2:12 pm

 
Blogger Jessy Russell said...

This post yet again reaffirms how much I love and miss the DuckTales comics. My dad used to bring them home to us every Friday (along with a dozen other titles that are probably now classics).

I'd love to get my hands on some classic issues.

8:02 pm

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yo, Andrea! You make me blush crediting me with providing the scans. To be fair, though, it wasn't me who scanned the comic book, it was done by an anonymous benefactor who posted them on usenet, I'm not sure when, but probably some half a decade ago. I just happened to be lucky to grab a re-post (not on usenet).
I like the idea of rapairing the Carl Barks Library. I hope I can contribute one or two more bits in not-too-distant future.

1:25 pm

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jessy, you know we're still publishing Disney comics today, with Gottfredson and Barks aplenty as well as lots of new stories in the classic tradition. I can't claim that we'll be allowed to print much along the lines of the uncensored "Voodoo Hoodoo," but Disney does allow us more wiggle room than Gladstone had in the "old days" of 1988.
My job has been keeping me so busy that I haven't had time to do something I promised Andrea awhile back... scan some rather special comics for him to put here on his blog. Wait for it, people... I damn well mean to get to it soon!

2:38 am

 
Blogger Duck Dodgers said...

Thank you very much, David.
Can't wait!

Folks, if a guy like David said something is worth a look, you sure gotta believe him!

6:16 am

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi there,
I just found your blog throug google, thanks for posting the many cartoon screenshots, I'm really enjoying them!
It's fun to see how in the Netherlands the uncensored comics are still being published. I have a quite recent reprint of an album with this story in it, and all the 'Zulu-lips' are still there. The translations are also very true to the original, with a lot of gags in it. I especially love the Dutch version of 'the seven cities of Cibola', because of the amazing color job: http://img505.imageshack.us/img505/5706/0021tk1.jpg
Even in the new comics you often see images that probably would be censored in the US, nobody seems to be troubled about them here.

10:17 am

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Newer Posts | Older Posts | Home
 
Free Web Counter
hit Counter