Andrea/Duck Dodgers here. I friendly welcome every fan of animation at my blog. The goal is to support the love and rediscovery of Classic Theatrical Cartoons from the Golden Age of Animation, keeping meanwhile an eye on Golden Age "Funny Animals" Comics as well as on modern animated productions! Every SUPPRESSED ethnic caricature to be sometimes presented here is just for HISTORICAL and EDUCATIONAL purpose and NOT to offend anyone. Stay Tooned and Enjoy the place !

Friday, September 14, 2007

The Art of Riley Thompson

According to Alberto Becattini and his marvellous articles about the man, Thompson is the correct name. I've found it spelled "Thomson" many times.
This shows how little this artist is considered and how unsung is his work.
Thompson not only directed some of the finest Disney shorts, but he was also a prolific comicbook artist.
To my knowledge he never wrote his stories, so he was one of them artists, like Paul Murry, that can only be remembered for their drawings, unlike masters like Barks or Scarpa. However he should be considered more than he is as now, because his drawings and his talent were great.
Enjoy this short story featuring Grandma Duck, Gus Goose...and the Cinderella Mice Gus&Jaq!
The pages are full of energy and life, and look at Grandma's wacky expressions! It reminds me Woody in the Dick Lundy's cartoons.
Let me know if you like Thompson's work in the comments and maybe I'll post more of his stuff!











Well, I'll be seein' ya,
Duck Dodgers

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good story, Dodgers! It makes me wonder if your going to do a spin-off blog about animation characters in comics.

12:25 pm

 
Blogger Duck Dodgers said...

I'd love to, but it takes too much time. Time I don't have.

2:06 pm

 
Blogger Ladytink_534 said...

That is the cutest thing! Made my day.

6:36 am

 
Blogger Agustin Croxatto said...

Amazing expressions! your blog it's excellent I check it out almost everyday, did you see that page goldenagecomics.co.uk? there is some wonderful comics for download.

4:27 pm

 
Blogger Duck Dodgers said...

Yep, I've seen it. Good stuff, even if I prefer comics with classic cartoon characters.

8:37 pm

 
Blogger Thad said...

I wasn't sure of how to spell Thompson's name, thanks for seeking the accurate spelling. I'm not too crazy about his artwork though.

11:02 pm

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Andrea,

Alberto spells it "Thompson," and so did Leonard Maltin before him. But I find "Thomson" on actual Disney documents from the period, including those written by Riley himself.
Note his signature on the Gottfredson-imitation cannibal comic reprinted here:

http://lambiek.net/artists/t/thomson_riley.htm

2:27 pm

 
Blogger Duck Dodgers said...

Thanks Davis!
There's sure mistery around this guy.....

4:29 pm

 
Anonymous Jwt3 said...

Thanks for the info. Was a fan of this artist's Disney comics since seeing it reprinted in the 60's and 70's. But never knew the name.

5:12 pm

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Newer Posts | Older Posts | Home
 
Free Web Counter
hit Counter